Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Two Years Later in Venice

Entrepreneurial Pursuit
Harvard Business School Professor Howard Stevenson:  "Entrepreneurship is the pursuit of opportunity without regard to resources currently controlled."  Hudson Taylor, founder of the China Inland Mission, integrated both faith and risk.  He said: "Unless there is an element of risk in our exploits for God, there is no need for faith."  Being a church planter, involves taking risks, and having the spirit of an Entrepreneur.  One pastor, referred to the Apostle Paul as an "Entrepreneur of the Gospel."  October 1st, marked two years ago that I moved to Los Angeles, with the hope and prayer of planting a church in Venice.  Some great things have occurred since my last post...

On July 25th, I had a meeting with my managers at Golds Gym.  I have always had a great relationship with them.  However, due to certain requirements/expectations to remain a trainer there...I had to make some tough decisions.  Basically, it came down to them needing me to focus only on being a personal trainer, and giving more of myself to the gym.  To be fully invested in the team, and the corporation.  Although, I agreed with why this was necessary, I had to take a step back and consider my priorities.  I needed the freedom, to really give myself over to this church plant.  So, after much reflection and prayer...I put my two week notice in on Monday August 19th.  My official last day of working at Golds Gym, was Saturday August 31st.  I had worked at Golds Gym for 1 year and 10 months.  I had worked as a Personal Trainer there, for 1 year and 3 months.  It was a close, to a great chapter in my life and ministry.  I am very grateful to have worked there.

Business Card
Monday September 16th, was my first official day as a Independent Personal Trainer.  It was the start of my new business...Eric Flores Fitness.  Over the last three months...I had to buy office supplies, more equipment, obtain a Business Tax Certificate, design & order business cards, design and create a facebook page, create a new e-mail address, purchase liability insurance, make waiver/release forms, training agreement forms, receipts, etc.  This new business venture/entrepreneurial pursuit has been a blast, especially to have such wonderful clients!

Twin Towers
One of many reasons, as to why I volunteer at Men's Central Jail, was to develop a friendship/relationship with the inmates.  I knew that some, probably were from Venice and the surrounding communities.  My desire and prayer, was that there would be a church for them to come to, upon release.  These ideas were in my heart and mind over 2 years ago.  Fast forward to present day.  In the last month, some of the men have approached me, to ask when the church in Venice was going to start.  We have since exchanged contact information, as some are being released in the next couple months.  Still others, have prayed for God's blessing and favor on it!  On Monday November 25th, I was interviewed by another Chaplain.  I am currently filling out another application, and scheduled to do another orientation.  This is for the opportunity, to go volunteer across the parking lot at Twin Towers.  This will be different then Malachi Dads, which takes place on Saturdays in Men's Central Jail.  This ministry opportunity, will be during the week in the evening.  After working alongside the Chaplain two to three times, they will drop me off on one of 10 floors.  I will then be on my own, to conduct and lead services/classes.  Lord willing, I will begin this new venture in January.


The Electric Lodge
Now, on to the most exciting update.  Jeff and I, have been doing the Home Bible study, for the past 10 months.  We studied the books of 1 & 2 Timothy.  We have recently, changed it to a prayer meeting during the week.  Drum roll please...we are finally launching the church on Sunday January 5th!  Over the recent months, we were searching for a venue to meet at.  One Elementary school looked promising.  We even had the paperwork done, liability insurance covered, approval from the principal, and approval from the Los Angeles Unified School District.  We were on the verge of receiving the license...but then the door closed.  Back to the drawing board!  We considered other schools, the recreation/community center, and other church buildings.  The door finally opened at the Dance Studio, in the Electric Lodge!

These handful of months, have been busy preparing for the launch!  A list of some of those things included: organizing the order of Sunday morning service, outlining possible Sunday morning sermon series for the next year, reading and signing contracts, deciding on the name for the church, etc.  We are currently having a logo designed, creating/designing a facebook page, creating/designing business cards, writing up church bylaws, obtaining a tax ID number, and opening a bank account.


On October 8th, I was able to go on a live radio show, to talk about the church plant.  The show is called "Light into the Night," on KGBC.  They have stations in Los Angeles, Hawaii, Cambodia, Seattle, and South Korea.  Then on November 19th, I returned as a guest on the show, with my friend and ministry partner...Jeff Shelp.  I was able to share on our vision, message, and mission among other things.  Jeff was able to share his testimony.  It was so powerful!  Jeff being a Venetian, spoke about the events leading up to him giving his life to the leadership and lordship of Jesus Christ.  In that moment, I was reminded of how blessed I was, to be partnering with this hombre.


In closing, the name of the ministry is Regeneration Church.  The name is based on Titus 3:4-6: "But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior."  We also base it on John 3:1-8, where Jesus teaches on the necessity of a spiritual rebirth.  Pioneering anything, can be risky, but the rewards are well worth it...

By His Grace,
Eric 








No comments:

Post a Comment