Friday, November 11, 2011

The Journey Begins With Vision


The Vision Verse for this Church Plant is 2 Timothy 4:5, which states: "But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." Paul the apostle about to be martyred for his faith in Christ, is writing his final words. These last statements are being written to a young pastor named Timothy. Some Bible commentators and scholars, would argue that Timothy is anywhere from his late twenties to mid thirties. At the end of the day he is young.;) He has now taken over this congregation in the city of Ephesus. He is timid and fearful, about this new season of his life and ministry. This doesn't stop the aged Paul, from encouraging and affirming the call of the young pastor. He tells him four important things in this verse to not forget...

I heard a quote in Bible college about 10-11 years ago, that I never forgot. Pastor Jon Courson said: "Whatever the Senior Pastor is, the church will be." In other words, if the pastor is very missions minded/oriented, so goes the flock. If he is all about the youth and reaching the next generation, so goes the congregation. If he is evangelistic, so goes the sheep. The list goes on and on. The beginning months are so important in laying a foundation not only for the church plant, but for me and the leadership as well. What do I and the leadership, hope to model for the church in Venice Beach?

Well, to start a church from scratch carries some unique challenges with it. First things first, I needed a "tent-making" job. However, I wanted to be strategic about it at the same time. This past summer, I became a certified personal trainer. This profession would allow me to be flexible with my schedule, make decent money, and do something I love to do. Over the past few months...I filled out applications, did research and job hunted, put together resumes, and drove around Los Angeles, looking for work in the fitness world and beyond (other fields). Now, one of the hubs and icons of Venice Beach, is the original Gold's Gym...known as the "Mecca of Bodybuilding." I really sensed I needed to work there. Through much prayer, following up week after week, and three interviews later, I got hired! This venture began back in August, and has definitely been worth it!

When I began persistently pursuing a job at Gold's, there were no openings for personal trainers. However, I still felt it important to get my foot in the door. I almost got the position of "front desk associate." For various reasons, I chose to work as a "Housekeeping Associate," a.k.a a janitor instead. I began orientation and work on Tuesday October 25th, and love it. It is good honest work, and I enjoy doing it unto the Lord. Members of the gym, my co-workers, and managers have already noted my work ethic, which I hope and pray is Christian! I have an informal interview next week, with the manager of the Personal Training Department. Please pray slowly but surely, I can get work there. Another reason I wanted this profession, was the ability to meet people easier.

I have also been busy with interviews, paperwork, and taking tests to become a Chaplain. This would be one of many ways, that I as a pastor could serve the community. I wanted to find the closest hospital to Venice Beach. Just last Friday on November 4th, I received news that I was accepted at Marina Del Rey Hospital as a Chaplain! Serving already in the Pastoral Care Department: a Baptist Minister, a Reverend from the Methodist Church, a Jewish Rabbi, a Roman Catholic Priest, a Eucharist Minister, and finally 70-84 year old women who are Eucharist ministers. The nurse who heads up and serves in this department, was so glad that I came from a non-denominational church. Reason being, I can serve anybody and everybody who wants it. She also mentioned that many homeless, alcoholics, and drug addicts from Venice Beach do go to that hospital.

I am now currently beginning the process, of becoming a chaplain for the LAPD Pacific Division, in order to serve and meet the police officers of Venice Beach. These officers also team up with the Clergy Council, to serve the homeless on the beach. I attended one of these meetings on Tuesday October 18th. In order to minister on the other side of the law, I am also looking into becoming a chaplain for the prison in Downtown LA. All these opportunities, are my "excuses" to get the gospel out into the community of Venice Beach. Trying my best to do "the work" of an evangelist.

I am currently teaming up with Pastor Steve Snook and Metro Calvary Chapel located in Santa Monica, to do this church plant. As time has gone by, God has been putting together an incredible team, that is like-minded and Kingdom-minded with various gifts and talents. We are currently holding leadership and prayer meetings as we get more organized. In the midst of all this, we are doing a mid-week Bible Study in Venice Beach, and knocking on doors for a meeting place. We do have a timeline for moving from this study to being a "church plant." Lord willing, the beginning of next year we will "launch," and have an official service where we meet Sunday mornings. In future newsletters, I will have more details and set dates for that.

Through the partnership, God has provided for me in so many ways. One, was a place to live. Not only is it expensive to live Urban, but also by the beach. Researching craigslist for example, was a nightmare! My prayer was something like this..."Lord, if I can't live in Venice Beach, please help me to at least work in Venice Beach where the church will be, and move close by." God answered that prayer by providing a job in Venice Beach, and a room for me to rent at a house in Los Angeles. On Saturday October 1st, I moved here to LA with Tony Nelson...who attends Metro. There is also a guest house in the back, where two friends from out of state live. These 3 roommates are great, and we all get along. Although, content taking the Metro Bus everywhere, God also provided a car through members of the body of Christ at Metro Calvary Chapel! Crazy thing is, I wasn't even looking!

In closing, my prayer for myself and the leadership, is to model this verse. Hopefully, the church will be inspired and influenced to do the same!

By His Grace,
Eric

1 comment:

  1. AMEN to that brutha! Our LOve and Prayers are with you when we aren't physically :)

    ReplyDelete